Rankings and Recognition
NIU's College of Education continues the institution's 100-year history of preparing professional educators for the region and nation. There are over 54,000 College of Education alumni, and over 67 percent live in Illinois. One of every five superintendents in Illinois is an NIU graduate, one out of every nine principals in Illinois is an NIU graduate and one out of every 16 teachers in Illinois is an NIU graduate.
College of Education Earns National Rankings
U.S. News and World Report
- : NIU’s College of Education ranks #26 nationally.
College of Education Earns Academic Prestige
- : Since 1954, the programs in the College of Education have been continuously accredited by CAEP (formerly NCATE), a mark of distinction for meeting national professional standards.
- : Since 1989, the College of Education counseling programs have been accredited by CACREP.
Since 1997, the College of Education Athletic Training program has been accredited by CAATE.
- Since 1984, the College of Education Vision programs have been accredited by AER.
- The Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision program in the Department of Counseling and Higher Education received the 2018 NCACES Innovative Counselor Education Program Award. Given by the North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, this award honors an outstanding, innovative and/or unique counseling or counselor education program at an institution in the NCACES region.
School District Partnerships
- NIU has five Professional Development School partnerships: , , , and . The College of Education works with an additional 25 collaborating districts, over 150 individual schools, to prepare the next generation of superior teachers.